Touring Exhibitions: Violent Salt
FIELD Engineers Gallery, Artspace Mackay
30 Aug to 24 Nov
Violent Salt brings together contemporary artists from across Australia representing diverse cultural heritage. Co-curated by Yhonnie Scarce and Claire Watson, the exhibition reflects on the experiences of the marginalised, the underrepresented and the silenced. The exhibition discusses issues surrounding racism and discrimination against First Nations peoples and minority groups as well as the lack of respect for, and desecration of culture and the natural environment. Violent Salt invites artists to speak their truths about these experiences and offers an opportunity for understanding and connection, whilst seeking to celebrate and honour Australia’s unique multiculturalism and landscape.
The works presented in Violent Salt reflect on a social, physical and geographical landscape that has been witness to violence and oppression. It questions how we can repair deep wounds, re-connect across culture and assert and celebrate cultural identities
meaningfully and transformatively.
The featured artists are Abdul Abdullah (NSW), Vernon Ah Kee (QLD), Richard Bell (QLD), Daniel Boyd (NSW), Megan Cope (QLD), Karla Dickens (NSW), S.J. Norman (VIC), Yhonnie Scarce (VIC/SA) and Jemima Wyman (QLD).
IMAGE: Karla DICKENS Wiradjuri People, Quartered 2017, mixed media, dimensions variable, Mackay Regional Council Art Collection.
- Artspace Mackay, QLD: 30 August – 24 November, 2019
- Noosa Regional Gallery, QLD: 6 December 2019 – 26 January 2020
- Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery, QLD: 8 February – 22 March, 2020
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, NSW: 19 June – 30 August, 2020
- Canberra Contemporary Art Space, ACT: 12 September – 25 October 2020
- Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery, VIC: 23 January – 14 March 2021
- Bundoora Homestead Art Centre, VIC: 27 March – 6 June 2021
Violent Salt (5:14)
An interview with Violent Salt co-curators Yhonnie Scarce and Claire Watson.
Violent Salt (0:45)
Introduction to Violent Salt, an Artspace Mackay touring exhibition.
Megan Cope (0:60)
Violent Salt artist talks about her installation RE FORMATION part 2.